Following on from my last post here is the put together bodice made from muslin.
Surprisingly the fit actually was pretty good apart from the massive pointy bust area of course! Pretty good going for my first attempt. How to fix the problem...
1. I pinned the excess fabric along the princess seam so it gave a much better fit.
2. Remove the bodice from the dress form and then mark with chalk along the line of the pins so when you take them out you can see how much material you want to lose.
3. Unpick the seam and cut away the excess fabric remembering to leave a seam allowance mine was 3/8".
|Unpicked sides with chalk marks.|
|Cut away excess leaving 3/8" seam allowance|
4. If your not planning on using your pattern again them you can skip this step. If you are then it is important to make the same the same adjustment you made on the muslin to the pattern so you won't have the same pointy bust problem the next time!
|I cut away the same size piece as I did on the muslin|
One finished and fitted bodice! Starts to get a little more tricky from here and in the next few posts I will be going into details about how I make the structured bodice including boning, making padded cups and other such fun things!
I hope you find this tutorial helpful and as always all comments and questions are very welcome.